By now you're probably well aware 5 people were killed & several others gravely injured Thursday afternoon at the Capital Gazette Newspaper in Annapolis. Police have apprehended an uncooperative 38 year old suspect, Jarrod Ramos, who had a vendetta against the paper. He sued the paper, its publisher, & a reporter for publishing a story about a guilty plea he entered into for criminal harassment. He was vocal on Twitter about is detest for the paper and even took steps to remove his fingerprints to avoid identification.
Ultimately, Ramos will be charged with first degree murder of 5 people:
- 59-year-old Rob Hiaasen, a former feature writer for “The Baltimore Sun” who joined the Capital Gazette in 2010 as an assistant editor and columnist
- 65-year-old Wendi Winters, a community correspondent who headed special publications
- 61-year-old Gerald Fischman, the editorial page editor
- 56-year-old John McNamara, a staff writer who had covered high school, college and professional sports for decades
- 34-year-old Rebecca Smith, a sales assistant hired in November
If you'd like to help, please donate to the GoFund Me page set up for the Capital Gazette journalists who have been affected by this tragedy.