I shared my weekly dinner plan with a couple of girlfriends this week, and I thought I should share it with you! It's been so helpful to have this plan. As a busy mom, it can feel really daunting to plan dinners week after week.
Basically my weekly meal planning revolves around cooking in large batches so I can re-purpose leftovers throughout the week. On Mondays, I cook the meat for Monday and Wednesday. On Tuesdays I cook for Tuesday and Thursday. Friday is usually a mish-mosh of leftovers with pasta, turned into a casserole. Or take out!
This plan helps me save money and keep my sanity without dinners being the same boring things week after week. I just mix and match!
MONDAY - ground chicken/turkey/beef bowls
TUESDAY - sheet pan dinners i.e. roasted chicken and vegetables
WEDNESDAY - ground chicken/turkey/beef sandwiches
THURSDAY - crock pot soup
FRIDAY - leftovers casserole
- Mexican taco bowls (rice, beans, corn, peppers, onions, salsa, cheese, guac, tomatoes, mushrooms, whatever you have on hand!)
- Buffalo bowls (buffalo sauce like Frank's, shredded carrots, steamed broccoli, blue cheese, mushrooms, quinoa...)
- Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, onions, peppers
- Broccoli, red potatoes, onions, peppers
(basically I do a cruciferous veggie, a starch, onions, peppers, and garlic... plus boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs when I'm trying to save money!)
SANDWICHES: Using the leftover meat from Monday bowls...
- Sloppy joe's
- Philly cheesesteak style
- Tacos or enchiladas
CROCK POT SOUP: using the meat from Tuesday...
- minestrone with onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, pasta
- butternut squash with onions, celery, carrots, tomatoes, white beans
- white bean soup with cannellini beans, garbanzo beans, kale
- white chicken chili with cannellini beans, garbanzo beans, salsa verde
- chicken tortilla soup
- chicken noodle soup
basically I follow a formula of vegetables + protein + pasta + cheese.
MONDAY - sheet pan dinner
TUESDAY - Ratatouille (Buzzfeed's Tasty has the best recipe, see below), with garlic bread
WEDNESDAY - "stuffed" night (i.e. tacos, burritos, or stuffed bell peppers)
THURSDAY - leftover ratatouille pureed into pasta sauce, over spaghetti with frozen meatballs
FRIDAY - leftover fried rice (Fried Rice Friday!)
- make sure Monday's dinner has good veggies for tacos or fried rice: onions, carrots, peppers, corn