So it's official, I've gone keto! It's always something I've wanted to do, but I LOVE to eat and honestly just didn't want to. But there's so many people in my life who do it that I figured I would give it a shot, plus I have four weddings this year so it's sort of now or never. I've been reading up on keto and checking out different recipes and so far so good. It's only been about 4 days but we're still on track! I think writing down everything I eat and sharing it here will definitely help me stay accountable and on track! If you do keto, please don't hesitate to reach out! I'd love to hear how keto worked for you and we can even swap recipes! Follow along for a more up to date version of my journey on Instagram @onaifran! And even if you aren't on keto but maybe you're thinking about it, please reach out with any questions, I will try and help the best I can :)
So last night I made Philly Cheesesteak stuffed peppers with veggies and they were AMAZING. Full disclosure, I have a lot of trouble when I actually make something figuring out the nutritional value. All I know is everything that goes into these peppers are keto approved, so I know my net carbs are pretty low. Right now I'm sort of eyeballing my amount of carbs and trying to stay under 50g/day to start, but I know I haven't come anywhere close to that yet. I've seen this recipe floating around the internet and I'm fairly intuitive when it comes to cooking so I kind of winged it. here's what I did!
- 3 red bell peppers
- shaved steak
- 1 block of cream cheese (I'll probably only use half a block next time to be honest)
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheese (I use an Italian blend!)
- 3 slices of provolone cheese
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cut red pepper sin half, par boil (about 8 minutes) 3 of the halves, reserve 1 half for filling
- Chop half a yellow onion, the other half of the red bell pepper and saute in olive oil on medium heat
- Add mushrooms after about 5-8 minutes of peppers and onion sauteing
- Once all veggies are cooked down a bit, add shaved steak
- Add salt & pepper to taste as steak browns on each side (5 minutes? You can seriously leave it in the frying pan for as little or as long as you like, it'll cook a bit more in the oven)
- Fill the halves of the red pepper with the onions/mushrooms/pepper/steak mixture & top each with 1 slice of provolone cheese
- Put it in the oven for as long as you want **I eyeball literally everything so I left mine in for about 10 minutes. I also broiled it a bit so the top browned
- Pull out of oven and enjoy!
I've also been on the lookout for keto friendly side dishes that I can heat up and don't take too much prep work (mainly because I'm lazy). I've always loved the Green Giant brand but when I found their Riced Veggies Simply Steam packets I almost died. There are 2 servings in the package but I opted for the whole thing (both servings) and that was only 4g of net carbs...for the entire package! And it was tasty. I'll definitely be picking up more of those for quick dinners!
If you're doing keto, or maybe you're just thinking about it, follow along with me on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter @onairfran and we can do it together!