Emmy Nominations Are In!
The 70th Annual Emmy awards will be hosted by Saturday Night Live's Colin Jost and Michael Che live on NBC on September 17th and yesterday the nominations were revealed. Overall, Game of Thrones leads with 22 nominations, Saturday Night Live, & Westworld grabbed 21 a piece and The Handmaid's Tale also nabbed 20. You can get the full list at Emmys.com.
In spite of the success of “Game of Thrones,” HBO lost out on being the most nominated network or platform. That distinction went to Netflix. The streaming service picked up 112 nods, while HBO only got 108. FX got 50 nominations – the most of any basic cable channel. NBC led all the broadcast networks with 78 nods.
A few major points to note:
- Anthony Bourdain received six nominations for “Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown,” including Outstanding Information Series or Special. Since season 11 was running at the time of this death, it’s likely that the show could earn Emmy nominations next year.
- Sandra Oh is the first Asian American woman nominated in the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama for her work in “Killing Eve.”
- A record number of African American actors and actresses were nominated. This time, there were 29, which shattered 2017’s record of 19
- “Roseanne” may be cancelled, but Laurie Metcalf still picked up a nomination in the Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series.
- Megan Mullaly is the only one of the “Will & Grace” family to earn an nominations
Joe Jackson Accused Of Chemically Castrating Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson's father may have destroyed the singer's life during puberty -- by forcing him to take hormone injections to keep his voice from changing. Dr. Conrad Murray, who served two years in prison for giving Jacko a fatal dose of the sedative propofol, made the accusation in a video obtained by The Blast. In his statement, Murray called Joe Jackson "one of the worst fathers in history" for "chemically castrating" Michael as a child in order to preserve his high voice. In the clip, Murray said, “It is said that only the good die young… I hope Joe Jackson finds redemption in hell.”