It was a long and winding road but we finally witnessed the marriage between Prince Harry & Meghan Markle! Check out everything that went down this past Saturday!
- Oprah Winfrey
- Idris Elba and his fiancé, Sabrina Dhowre.
- David and Victoria Backham
- George and Amal Clooney
- Stella McCartney
- Serena Williams
- Priyanka Chopra
- James Corden
- Meghan's "Suits" castmates, Patrick J. Adams, Gina Torres, Sarah Rafferty, Gabriel Macht, Rick Hoffman, and Abigail Spencer
Harry's Ex Girlfriends Attended The Wedding
Both Harry's ex girlfriends, Chelsy Davy and Cressida Bonas, were in attendance. Harry and Chelsy, born in Zimbabwe, met in Africa during his gap year in 2004. They were on and off again for seven years, but she didn’t like the media attention so they called it quits. Cressida, also an actress, also a descendant of King Charles II, dated Harry for two years after Chelsy. Chelsy also became a meme LOL.
Meghan broke tradition by entering the church and walking the knave (sort of like a lobby) on her own, she was met at the entry to the choir (that's the main sanctuary) by Prince Charles, who she asked to step in when her father couldn't.
Upon The Altar
Once standing before her prince, Meghan was greeted by him biting his lower lip and saying, “You look amazing.” She sweetly replied "thank you" and he add, "I’m so lucky.”
Bishop Michael Curry
And what about that show-stealing sermon from Bishop Michael Curry? He spoke passionately about the power of love and quote Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He resonated with everyone with a reported 40,000 tweets per minute rolling in during his sermon.
Man & Wife
Then it was official - the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were sealed. Before exiting St. George's the hymn, "Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer," which also played at Princess Diana’s funeral, was offered in tribute to her. Harry even shed a couple tears. They took their first public kiss on the stairs in front of fans with their family right behind them as "Amen/This Little Light Of Mine" was sung by the choir. And then, they did it again.
The Carriage Procession
Before the first afternoon reception, the couple rode through Windsor in an open horse and carriage to greet the tens of thousands there cheering them on.
To marry her Prince, Meghan wore a custom made Givenchy designed by Brit designer Clare Waight Keller (first female Artistic Director at the French fashion house). Her ceremony look was completed with a tiara borrowed from the Queen and a veil with some lace embellishment. She changed for her reception opting for a sexy, silky, halter Stella McCartney gown featuring an open back.
As expected, Meghan’s dad Thomas Markle wasn't there. But he spoke out about the event with a heartfelt message offered via “TMZ.”Saying he “will always regret not being able to be there," he added that he loves her and that he texted her some well-wishes for her special day. He also had a message for the rest of his chatty family - we're especially looking at you Samantha Markle: "Now I pray that Harry and Meghan can go on a nice honeymoon and rest and relax, and all of my relatives will just shut up about everything."
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex enjoyed 2 lavish receptions on their wedding day, the first of which was a lunchtime reception hosted by Queen Elizabeth II at St. George’s Hall. Elton John performed some of his biggest hits including Tiny Dancer & the Circle of Life, while lots of speeches were given including one by Prince Harry himself. It was said he gushed over his new bride exclaiming, “I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you.” Prince Charles also gave a speech, poking fun at his son but all in all gave an incredibly endearing speech. And the highly anticipated enderflower cake, breaking tradition from a fruit cake, was served as well.
Bash #2 featured an outfit change for the bride and groom. Meghan opted for a sexy, silky, halter Stella McCartney gown featuring an open back while Harry sported a classic black tuxedo. Here are a few noteworthy points on reception #2:
- The guest list for this party was very limited and only 200 guests were invited. Just to be sure they kept their numbers down, guests had to bring an invitation specially made for the reception with them. It began promptly at 7pm at Frogmore House. Interesting enough, Pippa Middleton & Meghan's "Suits" castmates were not invited to the 2nd reception.
- The party kicked off with the couple’s first dance as newly weds to Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.”
- Meghan also honored her late mother-in-law Princess Dianaby wearing her aquamarine ring at the reception.
- Meghan broke tradition once more and gave a speech where she thanked the royal family for welcoming her into the family. It's also been reported that she gave an impassioned speech about her plans...specifically that social change will be a big focus for her.