Marriage certainly isn't easy. But here are some simple ways to improve communication and keep the love flowing in yours!
PHOTO CREDIT TO GETTY IMAGES
1. Hug your partner at the end of the day- Taking time to acknowledge each other after a long day sets the tone for a more connected evening.
2. Build your team spirit- Playing tug of war gets you nowhere, but when you’re on the same team, anything’s possible.
3. Don't hold back with the love- Being specific with your compliments shows that you appreciate your spouse. Sometimes you have to spell out why you appreciate them.
4. Plan to be spontaneous- Yes, that sounds like an oxymoron, but setting up a time to “play,” then building up to the moment with flirty texts can be more exciting than you think.
5. Don't freak out if you're not connecting- Sometimes drifting apart during the course of the relationship is inevitable, but it’s up to you to find ways to reconnect and remind yourselves why you love each other in the first place.
6. Keep it simple- Whether you're giving directions, asking your partner to do something, or you're mid-argument, try keeping things simple to help your partner really process what you're saying. Slow down your speech and lower the volume. When you have a criticism to make, deliver it in three sentences or less.
7. Attack the issue, not the person- It’s not “you’re lazy for not doing the dishes,” it’s “I’m upset that the kitchen’s a mess, what can we do to fix it?”