Photo Credit: Getty
The Red Cross has posted some tips for how to have a safe and fun holiday weekend.
Let's start with the highway safety tips.
1) Don't follow another vehicle too closely
2) Pay attention and put the cell phones down
3) Turn your headlights on as dusk approaches or in bad weather
4) Make frequent stops. During long trips, rotate drivers. If you're too tired to drive, stop and get some rest.
5) If you have car trouble, pull off the road as far as possible.
And, here are some tips for making sure you are prepared for your trip.
1) Don't let your vehicle's gas tank get too low
2) Carry a disaster supply kit in your trunk
3) Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive. If your car gets stuck along the way, help can be sent along your predetermined route
4) Pay attention to the weather forecast for your destination and find out what disasters may occur there
5) Download the Red Cross apps to have important info at your finger tips.