Having to wake up at 3 a.m. isn't as awful as it sounds. But it definitely isn't conducive to good hair days!
photo credit to me
I mentioned dry shampoo on the show the other day, and how it is a LIFE SAVER for those of us shower at night and don't have much time in the morning. After the show, I received a couple of emails asking which brand I use, so I decided to make a little review for you!
The truth is I've used TEN different kinds over the past few years, so I'm pretty much an expert in the stuff at this point!
I've narrowed it down to my favorite top six to give you a nice variety.
1. Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo: this product is great for people who are trying dry shampoo for the first time. It's inexpensive so if you aren't into it, it's not a big deal. But this is a very standard dry shampoo, particularly with consistency, color, and smell.
2. Suave Professionals Keratin Treatment Dry Shampoo: the "keratin" treatment is supposed to make hair softer, but really the only difference I found between this and the plain Suave Professionals dry shampoo was just the smell! I feel like this smelled stronger, but less chemically.
3. TRESemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo: I'm absolutely addicted to TRESemme hair spray (soft hold aerosol level 3!) so I decided to try the dry shampoo. It has a strong chemical smell, and was too thick for me. Even just a light coating made my hair heavy and knotted-feeling. This may work well if you need LOTS of added volume, but use sparingly .
4. Batiste Dry Shampoo for Brown Hair: this is DEFINITELY not a good dry shampoo to try if you're new to the dry shampoo world! It's very good, but requires a bit of experience. It applies thick and white, so hold the can far from your head to get a light mist. You only need a little! Gently rub your hair, and it will begin to fade to brown! Careful, your hands will brown when you're done. It washes right off but it still surprised me! Great for brunettes, provides good volume.
5. Dove Refresh+Care Dry Shampoo: I was pleasantly surprised by this! The smell is exactly like their hairspray, so if you use their hairspray the two make a great combo. No competing scents. This provides good volume without weighing hair down. Definitely a great option!
6. Herbal Essences Naked Dry Shampoo: with no parabens or dyes, this one is absolutely my favorite. It's the only dry shampoo that actually smells CLEAN! It smells like mint and herbs. It doesn't provide as much volume as the others listed, so if you really need volume you might want to go with something else. It also doesn't COAT hair in white, which is great for brunettes!